UPDATE: Relief is here! You no longer need to follow any of the complicated steps on this page. The Adium team has release a new beta that addresses the Yahoo! issue. Download it here: https://beta.adium.im/
For a few days now, ever since I installed the Yosemite Gold Master, I’ve been unable to use Adium to connect to the Yahoo messenger servers. The annoyance level finally rose to the point where I needed to do something about it. If you are here now, you are probably at that point yourself.
For me, it all started with this error:
Error: Error reading from login.yahoo.com: Undefined error: 0
If googling for that error message led you here, I have a fix. The fix was created by reanimus, one of the Adium developers; but I’ve put together the exact steps you need to follow since this fix hasn’t made it into a release build yet.
UPDATE (2014/11/14) – Thanks to Shawn, a fix has been found for the New Chat Window bug. I will incorporate the fix into the instructions below later, but for now you can either read his comments or download a pre-compiled build that I have tested on Yosemite: Adium-1.5.11-windowfix.zip
UPDATE (2014/11/10) – The Yahoo! fix has been committed to the 1.5.11 branch of the code repo, but there is still no official 1.5.11 binary being distributed. The steps below have been adjusted accordingly.
- Install xcode
- Install xcode command line tools
- Install Mercurial (I used macports, but I’m not here to preach.)
- If Adium is running, quit it.
- Open a terminal window. Steps 5 thru 13 happen in that window.
- cd ~/Desktop
- hg clone https://hg.adium.im/adium
- cd adium
- hg checkout adium-1.5.11
- Depreciated step. As of 11/10/14 the 1.5.11 branch code now has this change committed. Only do this step if you decided to build from the 1.5.10 branch: vi “Plugins/Purple Service/libpurple_extensions/ssl-cdsa.c” and then insert the new lines from the diff at https://trac.adium.im/attachment/ticket/16678/adium-yim-cdsa-fix.diff (The starting line position of the diff is off by one, which is my I am having you do this by hand.)
- make install
- sudo rm -rf /Applications/Adium.app
- sudo mv ~/Applications/Adium.app /Applications/
There you go. A working build of Adium that connect to Yahoo. As a bonus, as my steps also bumped you to the not-yet-released 1.5.11 branch. It’s working for me, but if you have stability issues you can patch the latest official release by using ‘adium-1.5.10’ at step 8.
If the above steps are outside your comfort zone, and you would rather trust some stranger on the internet to build your this for you, you can download the compiled application and the patched source code here. The app was built on Yosemite, may not run on other versions of OS X. Let me know if you have any issues.
This should hold you over until the next official release of the greatest IM client ever made.
UPDATE (2014/10/31) – I’ve had reports that “File/New Chat” crashes Adium, and I have been able to verify that on my system. I’ve tried building 1.5.10 with the SSL fix, and it also has the crash problem. I’ve put the 10.5.10 build up here, in case anyone wants to try it, but I don’t expect it will work for you. 🙁
The only workaround I can suggest is rather than New Chat, add the person you want to chat with as a new contact, and then open up a chat window to them via your Contacts list.
Adium + Yahoo! fix – application: Adium-1.5.10.app.zip (1.5.10)